I’ve been ridiculously busy this week but a friend of mine brought my attention to a story in the news about a 17-year-old girl who was going through a court case over rape. In the case her underwear was used as evidence against her as it was a lacy thong. After seeing this I felt compelled to write a blog today about the fact that you have the right to say no! Continue reading “** Trigger warning ** You have the right to say no!”
I very rarely call any of my children by their birth names and in fact I have a nickname for all of them. I thought today I’d share them with you all and tell you where they came from. It will also help when you’re reading my blog and I accidently use their nicknames instead of their real names because at least you’ll know who I’m talking about. I’m also going to share how I came up with their birth names. Continue reading “Do your children have nicknames and why did you give them their birth names?”
I figured its November now so it’s perfectly acceptable to start blogging about Xmas right? Today I want to talk about our favourite Xmas songs and why we love them so much. Continue reading “Favourite Xmas songs and why we love them”
Stress awareness day is next week so I wanted to share my story.
This year has been one hell of a year , I got to such a place that I didn’t want to wake up ever again and I was serious. It was all down to stress. Continue reading “Stress comes in all shapes and sizes”
I have recently had a little bit of a moment where I’ve been thinking about how men treat women and why they do it. I have come to the conclusion that it might not be the fact men are in fact
arseholes pains and that maybe it’s us women that have made them that way. I should probably explain. Continue reading “Is it our fault the way (some) men behave towards women?”
When we hear the word tantrum we always think of toddlers. 2 and 3 year olds being grumpy over the slightest things. I am not joking when I say some of the reasons there have been tantrums in my house are just…. Well you sit back and wonder if you’re actually going in sane
Top 5 Toddler Tantrums
I thought I would enlighten you all on what I consider the top 5 tantrums I’ve experienced with my kids. I will work from number 5 down to number 1 which I consider the ultimate tantrum so far.
5. Bethie kicked off because she wanted to watch Ryans Toy Review. What was on the TV? Ryan’s Toy Review like she had asked. She even chose the episode but no, that Ryan wasn’t good enough she wanted a different one.
4. Harry was the most devastated boy on the earth when I gave birth to Annabelle. He did not want a baby sister and my god did I know it!
3. Ellie wanted to leave home. At the ripe old age of 3 she packed a bag and waved me goodbye on the doorstep. Why? I genuinely can’t remember but Ellie used to kick off about the world so it was probably something as simple as not having the right spread on her toast. ( she even made me do her hair before she left) She only got to the end of the path before running back saying I’m sorry mummy I love you.
2. Annabelle was sent to her room and her tantrum was probably one of the best I’ve ever seen. Annabelle doesn’t know when to stop and argues back ( not sure where she gets that from ) On this particular occasion she was sent to her room. All we heard from down the stairs was her asking the cat to help her. It was hard not to giggle as we heard “Mimi help me”
- My number one favourite tantrum from my kids so far was when Harry was about 1 and a half and Ellie was pretty much a newborn. Ellie had been a little whiney all day and I just heard ” Mummy she is doing my head in” Queue massive tantrum about his sister. Unbelievably that was also his first full sentence.
I’d like to tell you it gets better
But I just can’t! You get past the tantrums from toddlers into a lovely middle phase that I like to call the calm before the storm. Usually between the ages of say 6 and 10. This is where you think you’ve cracked the parenting thing. They’ve started to listen to you. Behave well in general. You can take them anywhere with very minimal fuss.
They like to lull you into a false sense of security. You have amazing incredible bonding moments where they are even able to sit down and enjoy a whole film with you. Help you around the house and become what can only be described as angels. DO NOT BELIEVE IT
Pre-teen and Teen Tantrums begin
Just when you think you’ve got it all cracked and you may actually be doing an alright job as a parent they have yet another trick up their sleeves. They become preteens and teenagers.
With this new-found status comes many things including hormones, smelly pits , acne and dramas but worse than that you get Teen tantrums!
Top 5 Teen Tantrums
Now you wouldn’t think the tantrums would continue once they hit an age where they pretty much fully understand the world. They know their own minds and can listen to instructions but you would be very much mistaken. Here are my top 5 Teenage tantrums.
5. I would not let Harry finish tidying his room. Now I know what you’re thinking. What teenager does their room but Harry isn’t a typical teenager and has a thing about tidying up. His brother was going to bed so he was asked to leave the rest till the morning. You would swear I’d taken his last sweet off him.
4. Telling Ellie she had to walk to school. Now I need you to understand the school is literally a 5-10 minute walk from my house. If I drop her off and pick her up I’m stuck in a sea of traffic and the whole experience takes around 30 minutes to complete. When I suggested walking you would think I had asked her to chop off her left arm. ( I don’t know why I said left I just did lol )
3. Now when you pass the toddler phase you would think the arguments over sweets would stop but this isn’t true. In fact tonight Ellie sulked because Harry had a lollipop and she wanted it. Queue arguing over a lollipop! Yes a lollipop aged 14 and 13 my kids are throwing strops over a sweetie!
2. Now this one I’m sure others could relate to. It’s a school morning. You’ve asked 15 times if they have everything ready. Done their homework etc and then you get in the car for one of them to realise that they haven’t done it. Of course naturally this is all your fault and absolutely nothing to do with the fact they spent the whole night chatting to friends or watching YouTube videos.
- This tantrum is by far the best tantrum I’ve witness in a teenager yet. Ellie discovered she likes boys! In particular this boy also liked her. Now unlike most teenagers who just get excited over the fact. Ellie had a full-blown meltdown because she liked a boy who also liked her. I’m not joking when I say there were tears and everything!
In conclusion this post is literally to prewarn you all that up until now the tantrums in our house are still very much here and that you really shouldn’t get fooled by the calm before the storm.
God help us when puberty full hits. I think I may book myself a trip away until they’re 18 then return once it’s all over.
Parents of older kids/ young adults please tell me it gets easier.
I know this isn’t true I still tantrum now. One of my favourite sulks/ tantrums being because I didn’t get new pj’s for Christmas when I ALWAYS get new pj’s. It was that bad I then got bought new pj’s to stop me sulking… True Story!
If you follow me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram you will know that yesterday I launched a parody of George Ezra’s Shot gun. My version was called School Run. I very nearly didn’t upload it! Continue reading “Why creating a parody video made me see myself differently”
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that sometimes being parent can be very draining and hard work. A number of things lead to us becoming very stressed! Continue reading “It’s normal to be a stressed out parent!”
I’m often asked by other mothers what I would do in their situations so I figured it was time I shared my words of wisdom in the land that is motherhood.
Before I go any further you need to understand that I am by no means a professional , I have no qualifications all I have is experience of times when my own kids have made me feel like reaching for the wine glass or removing my own hair! Continue reading “Handy hints and tips to get you through motherhood!”
Today I wanted to tell you all about an incredible young boy called Zac and how my local town has all come together because of this amazing little boy. Continue reading “Zac – Bringing A community together”