As many of you know last Friday my mother passed away, despite the fact she has been poorly for quite a few years her passing was sudden and unexpected leaving us all in shock. We were concerned about the effect it would have on the children, Especially Harry as he was extremely close to his Nanny and will often tell everyone about the time he stayed with his Nan in Wales for 10 days. Continue reading “My Incredible Teenager – Thank You Harry”
Being a mum is difficult isn’t it? First you carry your baby for 9 months, then you go through the excruciating pain of childbirth whether it’s naturally or via a c-section. As if all of that isn’t enough then you have to figure out the best way to feed your child, breast or bottle but it doesn’t matter which one you choose because someone, somewhere will judge you for it.
We were asked if we would like to try out some of Uniform Additions products with the girls not long returning to school and of course with me being a mummy that loves doing their hair and anything to do with trying to make them look pretty I was more than willing. Even more so when I learnt about what Uniform Additions actually does. Continue reading “Back 2 School with Uniform Additions”
You will have noticed that I quite often post about head lice, This is because with 2 of my girls having extremely long and thick hair (like their mother) we are constantly in a battle against the little blighter’s. I even thought that I had discovered the wonderful baby oil trick and it would work forever, Well I’ve cracked it! I mean like properly cracked it we haven’t had a single one in over 3 weeks! I know you’re dying to know how , whats the big secret? Continue reading “NO NITS! I’ve finally cracked the whole headlice thing!”
I have a house full of children so naturally when offered to try out something that involves chocolate quite frankly I would never live it down if I said no. So when What2Buy4Kids approached me and asked me if I would like to try their make your own chocolate house, well let’s just say Annabelle was reading over my shoulder and was more than a little excited!. Continue reading “Choconchoc Melt & Make a chocolate house review with what2buy4kids”
If you know me, well actually even if you don’t but you read my blog then you will know I love all things Christmas. I thrive in the winter and my whole attitude to life, the world, people changes for the better. Continue reading “My Christmas Wish”
I am going to start a series focusing on Mental Health. This has been something I have been thinking about doing since I published my post about self-harming in schools. Now I mentioned in that post how self-harming was becoming a trend and this meant that people out there who really needed the help were being missed. I think that Mental Health is something that shouldn’t be a taboo. It should be spoken about and people should be aware.
If somebody was lay in front of you with a bleeding wound you wouldn’t just leave them would you? So why are so many people expected to just ‘deal with’ mental health problems?. I am hoping that by raising awareness and sharing stories from people who are suffering it will help others. If these help just one person to relate and get help then it will be worth it.
My first story was emailed through to me today and I think it just shows how powerful mental health conditions can be and how they can take over everything! I think that the writer was extremely brave for sharing their story.
Mental Illness – Trying to find light at the end of the tunnel
Am I crazy?
Did that just happen?
Did anyone else hear that?
Just leave me alone?
Don’t go please stay?
These are just some of the many thoughts that happen not just in the day but within the minutes and hours.
It’s hard to admit you have something mentally wrong with you because of the stigma you are then labelled with immediately, you must be insane, something must have happened bad in your life or stay away from them there not right in the head they must be dangerous or it may be catching.
I always knew something was wrong by the way I could switch on a coin at any point, Mr nice happy bouncy guy to me cold and distant within seconds acting like I don’t even know you enough to care.
My temper was something uncontrollable just sat there inside waiting to come out whether it be nasty comments, shouting or just putting you down so you feel bad and hurt then all of a sudden CLICK. I’m walking around like it never happened and I can’t understand why you’re so mad.
Relationships don’t work when you so wrapped up in your own thoughts, your own world that you don’t have time or even the patience to care enough about someone else. Constant arguing, shouting, swearing, door slamming, making up, breaking up, making up a vicious circle of emotions that never fade never go away and just seem like routine.
Bouncing from relationship to relationship until you finally find someone who you truly care about and think they can change you, you will move heaven and earth for them they have everything you want in life right there in front of you and you jump at it before it flies away….time goes by it’s good then BOOM you make the biggest mistake in your life and you feel you lost everything in one moment but you get another chance.
When you are with someone in each others pockets for a long period of time you can’t hide anything you get to know their habits, there flaws, the things that make them smile, laugh, cry and unfortunately there’s only so long you can hold back issues you have with you until they see the multiple sides to you and suddenly your problem is now OUR problem. Shouting, swearing, temper tantrums, coldness, over happiness, hallucinations, hearing things all come at once and for someone who doesn’t have these problems or has ever witnessed it before it’s a scary thing to see.
The Breaking Point To Getting Help
A simple thing like washing up you hear something a voice, a lady’s voice but not your partner because she’s outside enjoying the sun, this voice calls you and taunts you and all of a sudden you lose your shit, within seconds your singing to the radio next thing your blubbing and running like your life depends on it out the house in case it follows you whatever it is.
Your partner try’s to calm you down for hours until the doctors are called to calm the situation. That then is the time to seek professional help I went to the appointments that were made and got diagnosed with a severe Personality Disorder, for those who doesn’t know what that means it’s a mixture of Bipolar, Schizophrenia and other disorders which explains why I’m so many different people and emotions all the time. Medication was given but as a means to try to sedate me but it wouldn’t workout so well.
My whole relationship has been based on lies, broken promises of giving time and attention, lack of interest in not only my partner but in myself to the point I was contemplating suicide…now there’s thinking about it constantly to I’m going to walk to the top of that building and it will be quick and over so soon but even despite all this the 1 consistent thing is my partner who’s weathered the storms and still stands there and here I am not even able to show her any sign of love or affection!
Change is in the wind
I’ve made my fair share of bad decisions and let things go past me without a care of who they would hurt, I’ve hurt loved ones and unloved ones. I can’t sit here and blame all this on mental health because if things need to be fixed it has to be from me inside,
I will take my medication, see the world how it is one day at a time and promise to my loving rock of a partner that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that you will get your happy ever after because you are my soul mate and show my children that its OK to have problems it’s how you deal with things that counts.
You could walk past me today and I will smile to you say hello and ask how your day is but all I ask and many people with Mental health issues ask is if you know we have this don’t treat us different don’t talk to us different or avoid us all together, we are just like you but it takes us a little longer to adapt to situations.
Thank you for reading
MENTAL HEALTH IS IMPORTANT! IT IS EQUALLY AS IMPORTANT AS ANY OTHER ILLNESS AND WE SHOULD BE MORE AWARE OF IT AND THERE SHOULD BE MORE HELP OUT THERE FOR THOSE WHO NEED IT. NOBODY SHOULD EVER HAVE TO FEEL THAT ALONE.
There are several organisations out there who do an incredible job and who can help you completely anonymously. I will list some below, You can look on the NHS website for more helplines if none I have listed below can help you. If YOU have a mental health story that you would like to share, completely anonymous then please do get in touch. Let’s break the taboo!
Anxiety UK – This is a charity that offers support to people who have been diagnosed with an anxiety condition
Bipolar UK – This is a charity that offers support to people with manic depression or bipolar
CALM – Campaign Against Living Miserably, for men aged 15-35
Mind – Mind is a charity that helps people suffering from mental health problems with support and help
** All quote pictures in this article were taken from google however the writing came from someone who deals with mental health problems every day.
At the moment Bethie is going through a serious leg clinging phase. This is a new experience for me as none of my others have done it. If I stand still for longer than a few minutes you can guarantee a little body will attach itself to me and be glued for a short while. Continue reading “Serious leg clinger!”
We all know one of the joys of having our children in a school in winter is all of the nasty bugs,germs, coughs and colds they pick up along the way. Not forgetting the dreaded headlice! When I was approached by Chemist.co.uk to write a must have list for going back to school I jumped at the chance.
Below you will find my must have items for returning to school and beating those winter blues. With 5 children I would like to think that I can be prepared as and when these things happen. Which inevitably they will.
- Any parent ( especially parents of girls!) will know exactly what it’s like when headlice strike. I was thrilled when I looked on chemist online and saw that they had Derbac M. I remember this being around when I was smaller and it being great. So first on my list I have Derbac M. ( Can also be used to treat scabies)
- Second on my list is also a must for times where headlice are a problem. I didn’t purchase one of these as I already have a couple of them but I promise you that you won’t find a better comb on the market for helping you to remove the lice and their eggs. The Nitty Gritty comb has spirals on each prong meaning that it grips the eggs and helps remove them.
- You can guarantee that there are always them stubborn eggs that refuse to leave the hair regardless of what you do. If you read my recent Hedrin review you will see that I was really impressed with the stubborn egg remover. There was no doubt that this was going to be on my list!
- Obviously headlice are not the only issue our children face in winter, there is also the small matter of coughs and colds. I highly recommend using Olbas Oil on their clothing at night time if they are snuffly and struggling. I find it really works well when combined with other things to help them. Such as propping up their heads and rubbing Vicks into their feet. So 4th on my list is Olbas Oil for Children.
- I was told that if you rub Vicks Vaporub on your feet it helps relieve coughs. Now I’m going to be honest here. I sat there and thought to myself, ” How on earth is this going to help my cough if it’s all the way down on my feet and not near my bad chest?”. Turns out it really does work! You rub it quite thickly onto the soles of your feet then cover with a pair of socks and leave on overnight. Don’t ask me how it works but it does!
- Coughs in children can sound horrific and can be quite scary. I’ve been in the situation where Freddie had croup and it was so scary waking up to hearing him struggle. Even now when the weather gets colder he can get a bit of a bad cough. They say that cough medicine doesn’t really do anything but I at least feel like maybe I’m trying to help or soothing their throats if I have something to try and help them and that is why Calcough soothing syrup was next on my list.
- Another thing that my children suffer with particularly Ellie is dry skin and sores. Ellie has eczema on her face and it only ever happens when the cold weather comes in. I find that if I keep some Vaseline in the cupboard she’s able to apply it to her face and it helps to ease the outbreak and keep her skin hydrated. Obviously Vaseline is also incredibly handy for many other things too such as scrapes and burns.
- As the weather gets colder we see a lot more cracked lips. Particularly if one of your children is a bit of a dribbler ( let’s face it most youngsters are!) and this can make their lips ridiculously sore. I always keep some lip balm in the cupboard. Not only does this come in handy for the kids but for us too. Gareth particularly suffers with cracked lips so Blistex Orange Mango was a definite for our list.
- Finally no back to school first aid set is complete without a full blown first aid kit. I was super duper mega impressed with this and particularly how much we got for the price. I genuinely have no idea why I haven’t bought one before but I thought I would take a photo of all of the contents just to show you how incredible and how much you get. This covers everything, bumps, scrapes, shock, CPR you name it , it’s in there. This first aid kit is a definite thumbs up from me!
I also took to Facebook and asked some blogging friends what essentials they think you should have to fight the bugs & germs. Here is what they had to say:
Katy from Katykicker “Anti-septic wipes are a must for grazes. I always take a couple out with us for trips to the park too!”
Lianne from Anklebiters Adventures ” A good immunity support vitamin to help build up their immune systems for the bugs “
Helen from My Crazy Family Story ” Hot water bottle, some plastic bowls and a good carpet cleaner ready for the sickness bugs ”
Christy from Welsh Mum of One “It’s not physical things but I would recommend researching a few apps and getting them on your phone ready. One of the things I use the most is a simple torch App on my phone! Also replaceable with a real torch of course. This will help look closely at any cuts / scrapes to see if there is anything in them, as well as things such as looking in the mouth. There are quite a few free torch apps available”
Erica from The Incidental Parent “For nits a Nitty Gritty nit comb and cheap conditioner. The plastic combs are no where near as good and you’re forever getting messages that nits are present in your child’s class…”
Beth from Twinderelmo “Try to get lots of vitamin c in them before the cold season hits so lots of oranges & orange juice in lunchboxes”
Laura from Dot makes 4 ” We have a little cool pack that we keep in the fridge for when the kids fall over. We call it Oopsy Daisy! It’s perfect when little ones hurt their knees!”
Victoria from Lylia Rose “Nitty Gritty for nits with some natural tea tree shampoo, plasters, Calpol and for a wholefood vitamin/mineral boost I use Sneaky Greens to make a smoothie/milkshake every morning”
Pete from Household Money Saving “We have a good selection of plasters. If we have a cut knee at home, it’s always a good way to stop the tears if they get to choose the picture on the plaster”
Jo from Cup of Toast “We have headlice shampoo, a nit comb, plasters, cold compresses, junior paracetamol and junior ibuprofen. We also give our boys daily vitamins, and cram their food with extra fruit and veg wherever possible. Early bedtimes are a must too, as is plenty of fresh water!
Sinead from Sinead Latham “Keep the nits at bay with Child’s Farm detangler; between the tea tree oil and grapefruit so far we have remained nit free (hoping I’ve not jinxed us now!)”
Jess from Mrs Helicopter Writes “Savlon and liquid piriton. The antihistamine is for play dates allergic to our cats. Quite a few times kids have come to play without realising we have three. ”
Janet from Falcondale Life “Micropore tape. My girls are a bit older. In secondary school they have pierced ears and have to tape over their earrings for PE lessons”
As you can see there are a large range of things that you can get in preparation for all the wintery bugs and germs. I ordered mine from Chemist.co.uk. Honestly I wasn’t sure how it would be when coming from an online chemist but I needn’t have worried. As I checked out it asked me to fill in a questionnaire about the medicines and who they were for. I thought this was great as it shows they are responsible over who they give medication to.
Now I’m off to get myself a Lemsip ( something for us adults) and have a little sniff as the little darlings have given me a cold!
- I was given a voucher to spend on Chemist.co.uk in exchange for a post about returning to school and winter bugs. All thoughts and recommendations are my own and any products purchased were chosen entirely by myself and not influenced.
WE HAVE A DOGGY!!!! Not just any doggy but a beautiful, amazing , cute, gorgeous labrador puppy! Gareth’s parent bought him to help Gareth’s dad with his vision but unfortunately he just kept tripping over him so we were asked if we would like him.